Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Daily Occurances

Well yesterday was memorable. We didn't have power due to a fire at the power station near my village and school. It shut off around 3am. No one was following the "four-way stop" rule at intersections with traffic lights out. It was sketchy driving home from my morning workout.
Parent Conferences went on as usual. It was good we didn't have a normal school day. Some of the water pumps on campus weren't working due to the lack of electricity. The power came on again around 5 or 6pm. I heard that the students were not happy being home trying to complete their homework without air-conditioning or computers. I think the real disappointment for them was that they couldn't watch TV or chat with friends online.
It is back to normal today.

1 comment:

jlariviere said...

Gah, no TV? The Horror! :-)
Reminds me of a line i just saw in an old movie: Dad mentions a gramophone
Kid: What's a gramophone?
Dad: An old record player.
Kid: What's a record player.
Dad: An old cd player.

I hope the conferences continue to go well, and there aren't too many surprise power outages... Are most of the parents involved with their kid's schoolwork?

I remember one power outage in my neck of the woods, a year or two ago. It went out around 1400 (110 deg F weather), and was still out when I came back from a church event, ~2130. It stayed out until around 1am or so, except for about 10 seconds around 2300...
You could hear a simultaneous 'YES!... NNNOOOOOO!' all across the apartment complex when it went on & back off.
Pretty funny, except for the temperature inside :-)